PID Photo Essay Contest
Photo Essay Contest Director
Joanne Stolte, FPSA, MPSA
Digital shows of images taken by PSA members are eligible for the PID Photo Essay Contest. An essay must have a theme or storyline. It is not merely a showcase of images without a story to tell. Text, royalty free music, still images, video clips, narration, and digital special effects are allowed. Essays are judged by their storyline as well as their presentation. There is a Color and a Monochrome section.
Deadline: August 1
All entries are done online. Both the entry form and upload area information can be found here. Entries are due by August 1.
Entry form and video upload information
- PSA Gold Medal for First Place in each section, if warranted
- Up to three (3) Honorable Mention (HM) Ribbons in each section, if warranted
- The winning essays are presented at the PSA Annual Conference
- The winning essays are posted on the PSA website
Eligibility & Rules
- Entries must be submitted online and received no later than August 1
- An essay can have a maximum running time of five (5) minutes
- There is no limit on the number of images
- There are no restrictions on the subject matter, content, or special effects
- Members can enter only one (1) PID Photo Story in each section: Color and Monochrome
- Acceptable video file formats are mov, mp4, or avi
- Unacceptable file formats are exe, ppt, flv, wmv, and the proprietary file format of the video editing software program
- The video file should be HD and formatted at 720p (1280 x 720px)
- The entrant's name may not appear in any way that is obvious to the judging panel
- Any music used must be with permission of the author and proper credit given at the end of the essay. See the Royalty-free Music link in the MyPSA (Member's Only) area of the PSA website for recommended royalty-free music sites.
- A specific essay may be submitted to only one PSA division each year The same essay may be submitted to another PSA division's essay competition in another year
Guidelines for Creating a Good Photo Essay