PJD Quarterly Competition: Prepare and Size Electronic Images
- Computer monitors and electronic projectors use a rectangular window. Therefore, we have a difference in the maximum horizontal and vertical dimensions. Traditional 35mm slide projectors have a square window and can project a horizontal or vertical composition image with the same dimensions. The equipment used for judging this Exhibition Salon uses 1024 X 768 resolution. The image must fit into this window. (1024 X 768)
The horizontal dimension must not be greater than 1024 pixels. The vertical dimension must not be greater than 768 pixels. Smaller images are acceptable.
The images will be projected as received
Use this procedure for scanned slides or prints, or images from a Digital Camera.
In Photoshop or your favorite Image Editing Software:
- Crop your image for best composition.
- Choose: IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE
- Make sure constrain proportions is checked
- Make sure resample image is checked
- For Horizontal composition photographs: Set width to 1024 pixels or smaller. Height will automatically adjust to the correct proportion. Images that were scanned from 35mm film will have a 3:2 ratio. In this case the vertical dimension will adjust to 2/3 of the horizontal size. For images that are cropped to other ratios, the height may exceed 768 pixels after adjusting the width to 1024 pixels. In this case the height must be adjusted to 768 pixels or less. The width will automatically adjust itself to keep the same proportion.
- Square composition images: As we continue to crop the width of a horizontal composition image, it will eventually reach a point where the width equals the height. The same holds true if we crop a vertical composition image until it reaches a point where the height equals the width. (we have a square image). The image must fit into this window (1024 X 768).
- For Vertical composition photographs: Set height to 768 pixels or smaller. Width will automatically adjust to correct proportion.
After you size your files, you can name and save them, using the following method:
Choose: FILE>SAVE AS
(Use this procedure for each of your images)
The PJ Quarterly Competition has TWO sections:
A. PJ One Star or less
B. PJ Two or more Stars
The appropriate section letter (A,B) must be used as part of the Electronic File name.
Select JPEG File Format; Type your File Name using your surname (last name) and initial
of your first name as shown below, followed by the section letter and image number:
The EXAMPLE below is shown for images entered in section A (Color General).
If entering more than one section, please use the appropriate letters. This will be the only
difference in File names for the different sections. However, when filling out the different
sections on the Entry Form, you will also use a "TITLE", that will go together with
your File name. This will give your images a unique identity.
Image No. File name
Surname is your family (last name).
x is the first initial of your (first name).
#### is the last four digits of your phone number followed by the section letter & your image number as shown above.
Use a JPEG quality of 70-80 %
If you use Photoshop, use "File Save for Web"
Please keep your JPEG image size under 350 Kb.
The Test Image shows the three RGB color strips and a Grayscale.
Use this test image to verify that your monitor is calibrated. The best way to view this test image is to right click on it (control click on a Mac) and save it to your hard disk. Then open it with Photoshop (or another image editing program) and view it at 100% at full screen.
color profile sRGB.