PJD Published Picture of the Year: Competition Rules & Entry Form
1) Black and white or color photographs published by PSA members during the previous calendar year are eligible.
2) The contest is open to anyone who was a PSA member at the time of publication of the entries and who maintains their membership through the time of the scheduled awards presentation at the Annual PSA Conference. Entrants should include a photocopy of their membership card.
3) Entries must be in keeping with the PJ definition: "Photojournalism entries shall consist of pictures or sequences with informative content and emotional impact, including human interest, documentary and spot news. The journalistic value of the photograph shall be considered over pictorial quality. In the interest of credibility, photographs that misrepresent the truth, such as manipulation to alter the subject matter, or situations which are set up for the purpose of photography, are unacceptable in Photojournalism competition. No elements may be moved, cloned, added, deleted, rearranged or combined. No manipulation or modification is permitted except resizing, sharpening, cropping, selective lightening or darkening, and restoration or original color of the scene. No special effect filters can be applied. Any adjustments must appear natural."
4) Entrants may submit up to five entries in each of the following four categories:
5) Entrants have the option of submitting individual photographs from a published sequence and/or submitting a photo-story as a single entry to be judged in its entirety.
6) The jury will consist of a minimum of two (2) award-winning press photographers experienced in a variety of subject matter. They will be instructed to disregard quality of reproduction, size, layout and quality of writing in accompanying text.
7) The Ollie Fife Award plaque and a PSA Gold Medal will be awarded for the best published work of these categories. Additional recognition may be given depending upon the number of entries.
8) Awards will be presented at the annual PJD meeting at the Annual PSA Conference.
9) Include an entry form with each entry.
10) The dated tear-sheet (the entire page on which the photography appears) and written permission to reproduce must be received for judging before April 1 of the current year and will not be returned unless a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) is included. If a photo credit does not appear on the tear sheet, the photographer shall include an editor's statement attesting to authorship. PSA and division personnel assume no responsibility for loss, damage or entries delayed in transit.
11) PSA retains the right to publish winning photos. A successful entrant may be required to provide a separate photographic print, or digital file, for reproduction along with permission from the copyright owner, be it the photographer or someone else. Photos for which permission to reproduce cannot be granted, for whatever reason, are ineligible for an award in this competition and should not be submitted.
12) Send entries to:
PJD PPOY Competition
13) Further inquiries may be directed to email@example.com or to the same address with a SASE included.
PJD Published Picture of the Year Entry Form
City, State, Zip Code____________________________________________________
Title and description of entry__________________________________________________________________
I am a member of the Photographic Society of America (PSA) and have read the conditions of entry and agree to abide by them and grant my permission for PSA to publish my photo(s).